Our supporters have taken on challenges such as running 5ks or 10ks, cycling from London to Paris and trekking the Three Peaks or Kilimanjaro.
Our supporters, from grant making to corporate funders and individual donors, together with our volunteers make it possible for us to deliver our work. This has benefited over 4,000 children from disadvantaged backgrounds. They have enabled us to fulfil something fundamental: each child’s Right to Read!
Why fundraise for us
Please help transform the lives of many more disadvantaged children. We believe that NO CHILD, of any background, should be educationally doomed. Our mission is to demonstrate that social and economic disadvantage need not result in educational disadvantage.
Already got a place?
We can help you set up sponsorship so you can fundraise for us.
Looking for a challenge?
Check out this list of events and challenges you can take part in.
Who are you fundraising for?
The children come to us, normally without referrals from schools or other agencies:
- from deprived socio-economic backgrounds.
- from a multiplicity of cultures, national origins and home languages.
normally by word of mouth; often children bring other children; sometimes children stop us in the street, asking if they can come.
- on rare occasion, with ‘special needs’ – autism perhaps, or weaknesses associated with dyslexia; or, most commonly, behavioural problems, for which some of our children have already suffered exclusion from school.
What are you fundraising for?
All donations large and small help to transform the lives of children by giving them the gift of literacy. Just give. We’ll teach them. They’ll learn.
- £100 will cover the cost of classroom hire for one Saturday
- £200 will sponsor a child at our Butterfly Saturday reading school for a year
- £500 will cover the cost of one Butterfly Teacher training session
- £1,000 will cover monthly cost of our volunteer recruitment, training, and other expenses
- £5,000 will cover annual cost of our teaching materials
I took part in the North London Half Marathon in order to raise funds for Real Action. I ran the race in 1 hour 47 minutes, and raised £500.
Chetak Gandhi (Butterfly volunteer) raised £500.
Climbing Kilimanjaro with my friend Anna for Real Action because it helps children learn how to read!
Emma Aziz raised £1,658.78 + Gift Aids